Thursday, January 6, 2011

MUSIC FOR MUSIC'S SAKE

WHAT I HAVE BEEN JAMMING TO OVER WINTER BREAK:


Beach House's latest album "Teen Dream"! Although one of my "friends" at school had a pretty derogatory status about this duo on his facebook, I DON'T CARE! I'm honestly sick of everyone labeling things as "hipster/indie" and then hating on them. I do not enjoy Converse, polaroids, NYLON magazine, and Beach House because they are hipster. I GENUINELY LIKE THEM. Gosh...

Anyways, I highly recommend this album. It just reminds me of how I felt in high school, all dreamy and hopeful and also kind of depressed and tired and hopelessly in love...


Kanye West's new album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is actually pretty cool. I think the man himself is a bit of an egotistical maniac, but I enjoy the tracks and some are surprisingly insightful! I also kind of liked his epic music video "Runaway". It was visually simulating if nothing else...

My one thing: When will rap stop being about "pussies" and "dicks" and "asses" and all that weirdly violent sexual stuff. Do ANY rappers have any real feelings for females? At least we have Nicki Minaj around...

My brother David's Christmas present to me: Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited". Definitely not a new album, but for sure a classic. "Desolation Row" anyone? Ah yes, Bob, the eternal intellect...

Also- WOW he really does look like Cate Blanchett!


Sufjan Steven's latest album, "Age of Adz", is pretty much amazing. It is very different from his previous work, so if you are a die-hard fan, I can understand the frustration. However,  with fresh ears I am completely impressed. Lovely lyrics and really cool experimentation. I usually can't stand 25 minute songs of any sort, but I actually love his epic track "Impossible Soul". Worth the money, it's a revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment